Thursday, November 27, 2008

Play me like a fool..


My useless thoughts on 808's & Heartbreak- 
'The anti-pop record'  It's a good album... at best.. Yes- it's better than 90% of the cRap music that's out now.. But he's not your average rapper, he is one of the best ever, so of course I'm gonna be critical, I expect greatness. In my eyes, I think he is top 5 all time... say somethin
The auto-tune is a bit much, the songs start to blend after a while... Why is 80% of the album a sad love song about his ex-chick? 
I'm surprised there wasn't a song dedicated to Donda.. 
Every time I listen to it, it gets better, like a fine wine... 
But it's still missing that Anthem!! oh and I'm a firm believer that he needs to drop the Wayne and Jeezy features. 
What happened to Lupe or Jay?
 
--------
2 of my favorite tracks off the album-

Street Lights- 
If your out there grindin on the daily.. its a song you can get down too. We all think we deserve to be somewhere better. But for some reason we ain't made it there yet..
"I hoped in the cab, I paid my fare; see, I know my destination, but I'm just not there.."

RoboCop- 
I can't lie.. I used to date a semi-robocop chick. Shit kinda turned me on.. 
Love the Stephen King 'Misery' reference, If you havnt seen the movie go rent it, cause that bitch was crazy like a RoboCop..
"Up late night like she on patrol, checkin everything like I'm on parol"

4 Comments:

Blogger Kellen said...

So far it seems that the "anthem" is Heartless. That song has gotten the most play out of any cut on the album besides Love Lockdown.

November 27, 2008 at 1:15 PM  
Blogger DeWitz said...

I would have to argue that and say Amazing could be the Anthem.. Either way.. I do think it needed a solid go to song... and this album lacks that...

November 27, 2008 at 6:24 PM  
Blogger Jaeho said...

Heartless is hands down, the goto track for the simple reason it's the most familiar feeling to Ye's work precedent to 808s.

In other word's, a transition track, finally fully featuring Ye laying down what he was masterminding since his crimes on the remixes for "Put On" and "Lollipop".

And it's a hot track. Genius.

My tracks for week 1:

1. RoboCop - relate
2. Amazing - statement track, I'm Ye.
3. Heartless - fire

Looking forward to the paranoid video.

November 28, 2008 at 10:02 AM  
Blogger Paul S. Lee said...

For the most part, I have to agree with what all of you say. Especially with Dewitz with the quote "Every time I listen to it, it gets better, like a fine wine..." Kellen is right, Heartless is definitely the "anthem" that this album was needing.

Not a great album, definitely really good, but 12 Tracks?? I know that he has potential to make a "good" album with atleast 15 tracks. If all 12 tracks were classics, I wouldn't complain. Quality over quantity anyday; but we're talking about Ye. He could've hit us with a few more tracks.

December 1, 2008 at 4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home